Saturday, January 20, 2018

01202018 - News Article - Ex-spokesman for Buncich withdraws name from consideration in 19th District state House race



Ex-spokesman for Buncich withdraws name from consideration in 19th District state House race
NWI Times
January 20, 2018
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ex-spokesman-for-buncich-withdraws-name-from-consideration-in-th/article_6760608e-6558-56a8-82c9-a6c2866af53a.html

CROWN POINT — Mark Back, ex-spokesman for convicted former Lake County Sheriff John Buncich, announced Saturday he is withdrawing his name from consideration as a Democratic candidate for the 19th District state House seat.

Back made this decision to focus on his family, he said in the release. 

“I entered this race to serve our community but at this time the people who need my service most are my own family,” Back said in a statement. 

Back filed for candidacy on Jan. 10 before withdrawing his name on Saturday. 

Back resigned his spokesman position with the Lake County Sheriff's Department two months after Buncich was convicted on federal bribery charges in a towing scandal.

Back's mother, Deborah Back, who is Buncich's significant other, prompted an inquiry with the Sheriff's Department following testimony she gave at Buncich's sentencing hearing last week.

During her testimony, she said she used the department's records system to look into the background of federal task force members investigating her partner.

Mark Back's released statement did not reference the recent developments in Buncich's case as it relates to his mother. 

Last week, Mark Back told The Times he "was fortunate to have several options regarding where I wanted to take my career."

"I chose to seek employment with the Lake County Sheriff’s Department, because I wanted to return to my hometown and utilize my education and experience in health care programs to serve our community. The Sheriff’s Department provided me an opportunity to do just that. I am very proud of the work that I did with county government," he said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment