Wednesday, April 12, 2017

04122017 - News Article - Indicted Lake County sheriff insists he is innocent





Indicted Lake County sheriff insists he is innocent
Post-Tribune
April 12, 2017
Lake County Sheriff John Buncich broke his months-long silence Wednesday following his November indictment on federal corruption charges, calling the claims "absurd" and pledging to fight.

"I have long wanted to issue a statement of my innocence to allay any concerns that you may have and to maintain your confidence in the Lake County Sheriff's Department. But, on the advice of my attorneys, I have remained silent," Buncich wrote in an open letter to Lake County residents.

Buncich said he had expected the case to be resolved by now, but since it's continued until August, he wanted to speak out and assure residents the work of the Lake County Sheriff's Office will continue without disruption.

Buncich, former Chief of Police Timothy Downs and William Szarmach, of CSA Towing in Lake Station, were named in a multicount indictment in November alleging an illegal towing scheme in which the sheriff accepted bribes in the form of thousands of dollars in cash and donations to his campaign fund, Buncich's Boosters, according to court records.

A federal judge pushed back the date of the sheriff's trial because of the large volume of material defense attorneys must review to prepare for trial.

"For those who know me and my 45 years in law enforcement, you know that I would never compromise my integrity or professionalism and cannot be guilty of these charges; trust that I would never sell my office — not for any amount. I assure you that I am absolutely innocent," Buncich wrote.

The sheriff, whose department was in charge of deciding which companies were called for towing services, and the chief allegedly steered business toward towing operators in exchange for cash and checks, according to the indictment.

Buncich allegedly took more than $25,000 in cash bribes and $7,000 in checks from Szarmach and another towing operator identified as "Individual A," according to the indictment.

Buncich and Szarmach pleaded not guilty during their initial appearances in November.

Downs struck a plea agreement with the U.S. attorney's office, which a federal judge has not yet accepted, admitting he allegedly cooperated with Buncich to solicit bribes from tow truck operators for favorable treatment.

The sheriff on Wednesday said he decided to speak out at this time with the support of his attorneys since a resolution would be long in coming.

"I've had an overwhelming amount of calls for support from people," Buncich said, and he wanted to be able to publicly address those supporters and assure them work within the sheriff's department has not been affected by the allegations.

"There have been no allegations that I have not performed exceptionally as sheriff and I will continue to do so. I wish to make certain that all functions of the Sheriff's Department will continue to operate with absolute excellence," Buncich wrote.

"I wish to provide confidence that you are protected and absolute excellence is still demanded of all county employees. My commitment to you remains unwavering."

No comments:

Post a Comment